Thursday, August 14, 2008

Dr. Mirtsching Just In

Well, it seems Delight has cellulitis in her left foot. It is an infection caused by a Staph bacterium. Her foot just started swelling suddenly today with redness and heat. The Dr. didn't seem happy about it but also didn't seem overly alarmed. He said her white blood cell count was really low and he may have postponed chemo under normal conditions but with the cancer being active he didn't feel he had the option to wait. He said the x-rays of Delight's lungs that were taken this morning did not look any better but they didn't look any worse either. The fluid draining from her left lung has slowed down some over the last 24 hours and that is a good sign. It was 475 mL where it has been running 600 to 800 mL. He said he was going to start Delight back on IV antibiotics (Vancomycin) for the infection in her foot. He also mentioned we should limit visitation to maybe a 2 hour time frame some time during the day and be extra cautious that any visitors sterilize their hands before entering and when leaving the room. He said she is very vulnerable to all types of infections right now due to her low blood count. He also said she needed all the rest she could get. (Almost impossible in this place) Next time Delight is awake and alert I will visit with her and see just how much visiting she is comfortable with. The ultimate goal here is to get this girl back on her feet. I will post if there are changes or recommendations on visitation. I know everybody wants what is best for Delight so I will try to keep you informed, or Kaye will. Oh, almost forgot, thanks Kaye and Tonya and sorry I almost snored you out of the waiting room. I almost had Bobby and John convinced I had quit until they heard your story. Bob , Kathy, John, and Sheila came by. Sheila and Delight had quite a nice nap together. She won't admit it but I think Sheila was snoring! Thanks John and Bob for dinner. Really enjoyed seeing y'all. A very nice lady from Beth Ann's church came by today and said a really nice prayer with us and gave Delight spiritual encouragement. Also, Jennifer's cousin Stacy came by and prayed with Delight. We so appreciate all of the prayers. Jennifer and Blu are coming tomorrow. I think Delight's sister Charlie and her husband Windell are coming tomorrow or Saturday. Delight got a large kick out of the poem from the tellers. I read it and think you girls need to give Gail a break! You hang in there Gail and don't let them mistreat you! I know Delight missed all of you a bunch and is really looking forward to getting well and getting back to work. Hello to all my friends at school. Thanks to all of you, again. I miss you guys and wish I could be there to help "get the ball rolling". Hopefully it won't be too long before I see all of you. Please continue to pray for Delight and love to all. p.s. In case you were wondering I do this when Delight is sleeping and sometimes have to do a lot of starting/stopping so if some of this is incoherent I hope you will overlook it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every posting means so much..thanks for taking the time to do it. TJ, you said weekdays would be the best for a visit so Kim and I are planning on Tuesday afternoon. Until then you guys are in my thoughts and prayers everyday....Love, Vicki Y.

Anonymous said...

The postings feel like a lifeline for me. I would come back this weekend but I know that Jennifer & Charmyrle will give you some relief. I love you guys so much,
Vicky