Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Just Talked to Dr. Mirtsching

Dr. Mirtsching was just in so I thought I would post this while Delight is sleeping. He said her blood pressure and blood work were all looking good. He also said that her liver function was currently OK and that is a relief. The antibiotics have cleared up the bacterial infection but with no competition from the bacteria a fungal infection has developed in her urinary tract. He said they would treat that with Difluxin, an anti-fungal agent, and did not seemed too concerned nor surprised by this development. He said the main concern to he and Dr. Shulkin at this time was the fact her chest x-rays still are not showing improvement. Her left lung has drained 250 mL over the past 8 hours and her right lung, the one they did the talc surgery on, is still showing considerable areas of either effusion (fluid buildup) or possibly tumor enlargement. He said that no response from the chemo after only 5 days is not unusual. He also said they were hoping to see a response by now but that it could, and has in other cases, taken longer and that we should continue with our chosen course of treatment for the time being. He said if her strength and vital signs allow and their are no further complications they would give the Navelbine (chemo) treatment this Thursday. He finished by saying she will most likely be in ICU for at least several more days and her transferral to a regular room would depend on how soon she regains some strength and better stability. He reassured me that he was not giving up and that we needed to continue our prayers. I haven't been able to give Delight the cards everyone sent from the bank but I will as soon as she is awake and up to it. Jennifer said she got tired yesterday just looking at one little packet of pictures of Baby Ava. Anyway, I know she will be very happy to get them and I will read each one to her. Brian, thanks for the OU news and the football magazines. Oh, and congrats on Long Drive, while the cats away the mice played! I think I could've taken you out! Thought you might need a good laugh! Mike and Cindy Williams came by just a while ago. Cindy stayed with Delight while Mike and I went downstairs for a burger. Thanks, I enjoyed visiting with Mike and I'm sure Delight enjoyed your company even though she didn't feel like talking much. If my sister is reading I Love YOu! Sorry we didn't get to visit more and sorry I was lousy company while you were here, I'll do better next time. Thanks Charlie and Windell for extraditing me to the hotel room, I really enjoyed the rest! Love to All and keep Delight in your prayers. A million thanks again to Kaye for keeping everyone updated. Hi Mom, I love you

5 comments:

Marty and Kelly Daniell said...

TJ & Delight...We just want you to know that you are in our prayers daily. Also, a "THANK YOU" to Kaye for keeping us so informed.

Anonymous said...

T.J., I can hear you talking when I read your posts. Please know that you guys are in my thoughts and prayers every single day. I keep up with you guys here because I know that your phone is busy constantly. I would like to visit so please let me know when it is OK to come. I know in ICU the time is limited. You are so blessed with family and friends and I know that you will get to take your girl home soon. I love you guys. Vicki Y.

Anonymous said...

TJ and Delight;
We have been keeping up with you guys from the blog. TJ, I would love to come and stay at the hospital Friday or Saturday night with Delight and give you the opportunity to get a night's sleep. Please let me know which night, or both. Love and prayers, Carla and Mike

Anonymous said...

TJ
Just wanted you to know you are also in my thoughts and prayers as I pray for Delight. I know you are exhausted, but would not have it any other way. Rest when you can and give Delight a hi and a kiss from me. Love to you both, Becky

Anonymous said...

T.J., I love you too! You are the best brother, husband, son & father that anyone could ask for.

If love could conquer this, it would have never happened.

I hope that you will let others help you so that you don't collapse on us. I know you are strong, but our bodies have a limit.

We all ask our precious Lord to let Delight breath good again and gain enough strength to get back to Idabel - her home.

I love you guys so much,

Vicky